Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
delay750430D-01.jpg
delay750430D-01. Emanuel Hosptial, land cleared. April 30, 1975 The PDC identified 209 houses and the core business section of the Black community to clear. Neighbors created an association which vigorously opposed the condemnations but was unsuccessful. Between 1950-1980, the number of homes in Albina fell from 5072 to 2169, which is over half gone. Between 1960 and 1970 Albina lost half of its residents. The PDC identified 209 houses and the core business section of the Black community to clear. Neighbors created an association which vigorously opposed the condemnations but was unsuccessful. Between 1950-1980, the number of homes in Albina fell from 5072 to 2169, which is over half gone. Between 1960 and 1970 Albina lost half of its residents. This is remarkable because the demolitions occured before the funding was approved. The political machine behind the demolotions was unstopable. The PDC refused all further community proposals to use the space. This oblique aerial photograph shows the scars of removed buildings. It is looking north and slightly east. The curved street on the left is Kerby. At the bottom is Russell. On the right is the twin streets of Williams and Vancouver. Many of these blocks today remain parking lots or vacant land.