Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
9345-63.jpg
9345-63. East Burnside looking west. showing the block between 6th and  Grand, with the Burnside bridge in the background. The Burnside street widening project has been completed, and this photograph’s rendition of detail in the pavement clearly shows the new pavement work contrasting with the old street boundary. The old buildings stand right at the new curb line, and the front inside sections were opened to accommodate the sidewalk. Starting from the left, the stores are: Matthews and Miller barber shop at 410 E. Burnside. The clock on the wall shows that the picture was made at 10:15 AM. (this barbershop building burned down in 1996). The next storefront is vacant, with signs advertising the Portland Theater’s change of name to the Paramount on March 13, 1930. The Palm Cafe is at 406 East Burnside. The building is the Kern building, whose address is on Grand. The hotel is the Lloyd Hotel. The drug store is the Coleman Drug Co. This negative was made in March 1930, evidenced by the calendar visible through the barbershop window