deLay480418-07. Crowds outside the longhouse at Celilo during the 1948 Feast of the First Salmon. The land surrounding the Long House is barren after being bulldozed to make room for war-surplus prefabricated houses to be moved from Madras and reassembled in Celilo Village. The entire village below the highway was going to be condemmend becasue The Dalles Dam's backwater would innundate it. Indians objected to almost every aspect of the relocation and vigouously opposed it. April 18, 1948.